Updated: Jun 10, 2021
This is one project I would NEVER advise you to DIY! (Or hire a Newbie)
1. They will NEVER be this little again You will really only have one opportunity to capture amazing newborn portraits. I have 2 children of my own, both born before became a photographer. The 1st one didn't even have a newborn session done. For the 2nd, I simply Googled Photographer & my area.... called & hired the 1st number that popped up. This was a MISTAKE! I thought they were good at the time. They were images of MY baby. Later, I realized what I missed out on. I will never have amazing newborn photos of either of my children.
2. There is a HUGE learning curve We aren't just going outside to run around in a field at the golden hour here! Believe it or not, newborn photography takes years & years of practice & education before the images even look decent. I spent an entire year doing model calls & took many classes before I even started charging for newborn sessions. I see far more BAD newborn photography than good! Don't believe me? Look up "Newborn Photography Fails". You don't want your images to fall into that category!
3. SAFETY This is really the number ONE reason. You are handing your new, precious child to a stranger. There is a lot of trust that must be placed here. There many "magic" techniques that need to be mastered in order to achieve all of the yummy portraits Professional photographers display. The general public (along with inexperienced, aspiring newborn photographers) might not realize that many of these images are also composites (Meaning multiple images put together) to make sure that the baby is safe at every single moment during their session.
4. LIGHT Did you know that lighting is arguably the single most important factor in making a beautiful image? I didn't until after I purchased my 1st DSLR & began experimenting! It not only determines the brightness and darkness of your portrait, also tone, the mood and atmosphere. Light actually creates feeling. An image with beautiful, soft light sweeping down the face of your infant will showcase them in the most flattering way possible!
5. Editing Expertise Your newborn is BEAUTIFUL & I try to make everything as pristine as possible before I press the shutter button. But, newborns have skin issues such as baby acne & skin flaking. I am an expert with post processing (especially when it comes to skin) & a pro will take care of this for you. There is no need to worry about it before your session. Also, as mentioned before composites are a huge part of newborn photography.
6. The GOODIES So, this is the FUN part! A professional newborn photographer has a studio LOADED to the brim with amazing backdrops (I have over 100 of them), Buckets, Bowls, crates, swaddling wraps, headbands, hats, furs & fabrics to layer! Not to mention, Professional grade cameras, lenses & lighting equipment. I generally prepare 6 different setups for each of my newborns! (Oh, don't forget the poses with parents.... No need to worry, I have over 50 gowns that mom can wear!)
7. Price I usually try to remember that you end up getting what you pay for! This is certainly true when it comes to choosing a photographer. Going with the least expensive or the “best deal” can be the very worst decision. Remember, your newborn is only so tiny for a very short amount of time, so if you end up not being happy with your portraits, you cannot get those days back. Experience, knowledge & of course, the GOODIES are all reasons why great newborn portraits are priced higher than some other genres of photography. Also, imagine purchasing the props that a Pro would use at your session to try to take your own newborn photos.... that would end up totaling much more than you would pay for a session with an experienced photographer!
7. TAXES This one should also be an absolute given. But, any business that you hire for any type of product (including digital files....they are technically products) should charge SALES TAXES & also pay INCOME taxes! If a business or freelancer does not pay taxes they should not be trusted.
I might NOT BE the perfect newborn photographer for you! But, I would still love to help! If you live in Central Texas & are looking for a great, experienced match take a look here!